At Linoto, we are deeply committed to minimizing our impact on the environment. All Linoto products are made from natural linen, which comes from the flax plant. Flax is an old-world bast fiber similar to hemp. The entire plant can be used for seeds, oil, and textile material. Linen is 100% biodegradable.
Our Packaging Strategy:
Less is more. Linoto packaging is recycled brown Kraft. Products purchased from Linoto arrive much like an old-fashioned parcel. The packaging is free of PVC and plastic. In some instances, due to inclement weather, light colors may be packed in wax papers or potato starch bioplastic bags to protect them from moisture.
Our Washing Philosophy:
All Linoto products are pre-washed with organic laundry soap and natural, plant-based softeners as well as natural laundry from GREENSHIELD, ECOS, BIOKLEEN, and SEVENTH GENERATION. The Linoto workshop runs a state of the art water filtration system that removes metals, toxins, and residues before the water is fed into washing and ironing equipment. We recommend natural plant based non-petroleum based soaps to our customers, not because it is better for the sheets, but because it helps protect the wildlife and marine life.
All linen is natural, but for customers who require organic linen, Linoto is proud to offer a line of certified organic linen sheets made from certified organic linen from Libeco in Belgium. We are in the process of reapplying for certification for our facility but the fabric we purchase has already been certified as Organic for the organic linen.
Fabric Consumption and Waste Strategy:
Linen fabric is very expensive so every opportunity to avoid waste has been instituted. The fabric is thoroughly inspected before cutting. Complicated shrinkage calculations are applied to the fabrics to minimize waste and incorrect cuts.
- Flat sheets: create almost zero waste as the entire width of the fabric is used.
- Fitted sheets: create only a small amount of waste from the corners of the contour fitted sheets. As part of the Linoto Zero Waste Program, the scraps are kept and recycled into our linen boxer shorts and Household Helpers Treeless Linen Towels. We also use the scraps as swatches to send samples to customers.
- Pillow cases: create almost zero waste as the maximum width will create 4-5 pillowcases. The small strip that is left over is too narrow for most uses. These scraps are the scraps are kept and recycled into our linen boxer shorts and Household Helpers Treeless Linen Towels
- Duvet covers: create almost zero waste as the maximum width will create king size and the queen and king size create one duvet cover and 2 pillowcases or shams. The small strip that is left over is too narrow for most uses. The scraps or used as swatches sent out to customers or responsibly disposed of.
- Linoto Zero Waste Program initiative:
To further support the Linoto Environmental Policy, we have instituted the Linoto Zero Waste Program initiative. The goal is to minimize fabric waste to less than 2% across all product lines. The following products are made all or entirely from the unusable sections of linen fabric from Linoto products such as linen sheets, towels, duvet covers and pillowcases: 100% linen boxer shorts, Household Helpers Treeless Linen Towels, Linen Coaster Set